The Feagins Family of Five

This is a place where I write about the journeys and adventures of our precious family. Joe and I are just two normal people, who met and fell in love. We have the privilege of sharing our lives with three precious boys: Parker, Ben, and Andy.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Feeling at home...

     I have been stuck either in the hospital or in my house for a week now. I was delighted to find that I had all of the ingredients I needed to make homemade poundcake yesterday. Then today, I was struck with the urge to make my own detergent. Parker and I ran to Walmart quickly, and we mixed a batch up this afternoon.


If the laundry detergent is as delightful as the poundcake, I'll count my week a success.

    "What poundcake recipe did you use?" I knew you were going to ask that. I actually based my poundcake off a recipe from recipezaar.com. If you aren't already using that site, then you are missing out. The recipe I started with was THIS ONE

    I had also watched a "How it is Made" episode a few months ago about the science of making pound cake so I looked up a few tidbits of that on the internet for a quick reminder.
     The first thing I did that this recipe did not include was to butter and flour my bundt pan. You know, just rub butter all over it with a paper towel, lightly dust with flour and shake it all around. Also, I let my eggs, butter and cream cheese all come to room temperature before even starting. The most important "scientific" thing is to cream your butter and your sugar together forever, and ever, and ever, and ever. This process is very important for how the butter and sugar hang out and do fabulous things to your cake. You also MUST add your eggs one at a time and beat thouroughly. I used pure vanilla extract with a strong flavor and also added 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract (I'll leave the almond out next time) Also, when you add your flour, mix by hand and mix slowly and carefully. Too much mixing will make it tough and create lots of air bubbles at that point. After you put it in your pan, tap it a little to see if you can get any air bubbles to rise to the top. The very last thing I did differently was bake it 15 minutes longer than the recipe suggested. I did this based on the comments and reviews of this recipe. I will probably even cook it 20 minutes longer the next time.
   I flipped it over on a plate after about 5 minutes out of the oven and we ate it warm/hot. It is delicious!

No comments: